[mythtv] PATCH: Commercial detection/skip using blank frames

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Feb 23 13:46:04 EST 2003

Andy Davidoff wrote:
> Shouldn't uncompressing hardware-compressed frames and sampling them
> still be faster than software compression?  It's not as though we have
> to re-encode them when we're done checking for blanks. :-)

Ya. I had come to the same conclusion but didn't want to
suggest it in the context of this message. If the system
has the resources for playback and there is no encoding
overhead while recording, then it can waste the cycles
just to check for blank frames. However, the decode to check
for blanks could be done just as easily in post-processing
which is what Chris was looking into anyway. If someone
used a sub 500MHz system and watched a show while recording
there would be two decodes (which still might not be a
problem). And, of course, introducing a decode thread while
doing hardware compression just sounds ugly ;-).

--  bjm