[mythtv] how can I help?

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Mon Feb 17 20:07:55 EST 2003

On Monday 17 February 2003 06:06 pm, Andy Davidoff wrote:

> I'm a network-engineer-turned-programmer-turned-DBA-turned-sysadmin, and
> I can offer coding, a decent amount of hardware and software testing,
> Internet resources, and lots and lots of time due to a recent layoff. ;-)
>
> What's a good area to start working on?

	Code-base is C++, with persistence in SQL (mysql, most settings) and
flatfiles (recorded content). Takes a while to find your way around the code
(well ... it's still taking *me* a while).

	If you know anything about video codecs (or want to learn), I think
re-encoding algorithms are still a hot point. Myth has its own codec for real
time encoding/decoding (e.g. live tv). The ability to efficiently re-encode
the resulting files for use as VCD/SVCD/DVD content (i.e. mpeg 2, 4, etc.) as
a background process and then burn from the front end has been requested many
times. Isaac may well have this 3/4's solved already, but the more people who
can understand the core video stuff the better.

	Other than that, look around, find something that doesn't work well, and fix
it.

- thor