[mythtv] Potential Set-up

Micah Morton micah at oregontech.net
Tue Feb 4 23:18:54 EST 2003

I would like to warn everybody here about Kingston NIC's in general. I'm a
linux network adapter tester for Intel and what I don't test at work, I
test at home for my own good and for the good of the linux community (like
everybody should)... and Kingston cards freeze up on large streams..
Mostly udp traffic and ipx specific stuff. TCP/IP streams seem to be okay,
however, on Abit motherboards and any Serverworks chipset motherboard, it
seems to hang randomly on bootup.. Not really sure what its all about, but
seems un-fixable without re-coding the drivers.. Anyways, thats my 2
cents. I would recommend (as a cheap alternative to a REAL nic) netgear or
SMC.  Linksys cards also have problems. Also.. a good integrated chipset
for onboard stuff is tulip/realtek8139/8239 or the 8100 or whatever.
Those are fairly well engineered chipsets.

--Micah Morton
--Linux Network Test Engineer
--Intel Corp