[mythtv] Crazy Question?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Feb 4 16:44:40 EST 2003

Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 02:24:05PM -0800, usenet at wingert.org wrote:
>
>>Running MythTV on TiVo would suck.  Its a 50 MHz PPC processor with 64 MB of RAM.
>

> Only if one were stupid enough to use software video compression on a box
> that has hardware compression available.

What would be even stupider would be to assume there are
open source drivers for TiVo's proprietary hardware.

> Once again, MHz does _not_ define performance.

I will speculate with great confidence that any Intel or AMD
CPU with a clock rate over 1GHz will out perform that CPU on
any realistic benchmark. I read "50 MHz PPC" as an
identification of the chip with no reference to a definition
of performance other than it "would suck" which is the correct
assessment.

--  bjm