[mythtv] A case that caught my eye

John Cappiello john at apt202.net
Tue Feb 4 15:48:16 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 01:22:58PM -0700, Alex Davidson wrote:
> Starting at $ 699 . Intel? Pentium 4 1.8 GHz up to 3.06 GHz . 256 MB PC2100
> DDR SDRAM memory . 40 GB IDE Hard Drive
> On-board Network . Sound . Video . USB 2.0 . IEEE1394 . TVout . Expandable
> with PCI slot & AGP slot. Aluminum Chassis
>
> $699 and up
>
> http://www.aromatech.com/ecube.html

Yes, those are pretty cool. They are Shuttle PCs however.  It would probably
be more cost efficient to purchase the parts separately. Putting them all
together is a snap.

I had hoped to wait till mine was completed, but here is the project I'm
working on: http://john.phunnel.org/projects/mediabox/

There are more detailed pics of the shuttle systems on that site. I'll
post a more detailed explanation when I'm done.  All in all, I spent just
a bit over $700, and that was with the newer amd based Shuttle, a 2GHz proc,
512Mb of ram, a Marvel G200, and a very nice 120GB maxtor drive w/ 8mb cache.
So all in all I would recommend building these yourself as you get much more
bang for the buck. I have no affiliation, but I got some of the parts (including
the Shuttle) at Newegg.

HOWEVER, there is one warning I can pass on that I have learned the hard way.
I can't speak for older models, but the two newest Shuttles, have 1.5v only
agp slots.  The G200 will NOT WORK with these.  So you're SOL in that regards.
Well at least I am. :)  I'm still trying to figure out a replacement for the
G200.

According to this thread: http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/Forum15/HTML/000024.html
SOME of the G400s will work.  I've been unable to find one though, yet alone
for a reasonable price. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.  Obviously I'm
trying to go the MJPEG route.  I've got an old Iomega Buz here that I'm going to
start testing with.

Sorry for rambling. I'ld be happy to answer any questions about the Shuttle.
It's very cool.

John
--
jc