[mythtv] Will you take/want KDE aRts Support?

Michael Kedl kedlm at knology.net
Wed Dec 31 14:13:50 EST 2003

I wanted to keep my KDE artsd sound server running since I like the
ability to hear multiple sound sources at once (myth, AIM sound effects,
system sound effects, email notifications, sound from other stuff I am
coding while watching tv, etc.).  And I don't think ALSA or OSS support
this yet.

So, I spent a few minutes today putting aRts support into my frontend
system and adding ways to enable it and compile with it (same as ALSA).

Everything seems to work fine for me in live tv, pausing, recording
playback.

A few things I still want to do before I submit it as a patch:
1) find out will you take a clean patch to add aRts support?
if so:
2) find out what the other version of AddSamples is for (never gets
called on my system).
3) figure out what GetAudiotime does
4) see if it works with the backend (probably not as important if you
have a separate backend as I do)
5) see if it works in full duplex mode
6) remove some old junk left over from when I converted the ALSA files
to aRts.

I would probably be able to get the first pass to you over the next few
days as I am off till Monday.

If turned on in a standalone frontend like my laptop I think it is very
worth it.

Thanks,
Mike