[mythtv] Using Release Candidates to minimize user trouble?

Kenneth Aafløy ke-aa at frisurf.no
Sun Dec 28 22:53:36 EST 2003

Hi,

Chris Pinkham wrote:
> Isaac Richards wrote:
> > Ah well.  Anyone else that participates in development want
> > to comment?  I'm fairly happy with the status quo, but...
>
> Ditto, I think there's enough people using CVS head to catch
> most problems, and we're still only at a 0.1x version anyway.
> I haven't installed a "release" version in over a year myself
> even before I started developing on Myth. My dev system runs
> CVS head and I usually upgrade my "production" systems whenever
> there's a change that breaks frontend/backend communications so
> I can still use my dev box to connect to the master backend.

Would not this reference more of your personal preference than
what would benefit the user the most?

What the general concept would be, is that once users (of the
previous release) notices that the CVS version has been tagged
with release candidate status, a larger part of the user base might
be attracted to upgrade to the CVS version.

And, yea, we are at version .1x, but the codebase is getting larger
every day, and fixing every bug in every release without more testing
by the users of MythTV, will get harder as time goes by. My point
beeing that eventually it will be needed, whether or not to
start now is not up to me...but the users, really...

Kenneth