[mythtv] Help on changing mythsetup

Curtis Wood curtis at penguinbrat.com
Sun Dec 21 23:18:03 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 21:40, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Sunday 21 December 2003 10:01 pm, Curtis Wood wrote:
> >    I haven't tried the dct-channel app - it doesnt apply to me.
>
> That's why I said 'something like' it.
>
> > On the
> > setenv, that was just a quick hack to test things out - I wasnt going to
> > submit it, but Baker wanted the patch.
>
> It was in your original patch that you did submit, so I figured it would be in
> any further patches.
>
> >    From what I could tell, there really isnt any where else to put the
> > wait logic unless we/you just call another routine in between the
> > nvr->rest() and nvr->unpause().
>
> That's what I said -- ' a separate function in the Channel object should
> handle that'.
>
> >    On just keeping it an external app, thats of course your call - I was
> > just trying to smooth things out, the external channel changing is
> > sloppy (visually) and it's a drain on performance having video after
> > unpausing, then nothing for a second, then video again. It may be on the
> > type of setup also, I dont know (pvr250,p4 2.4,backend==frontend) - its
> > just that the current way to change channels with an external app in the
> > background, just isnt doing a good enough job.
>
> Why would it be any slower if it's in a separate C app?  The only difference
> is execing the app after the fork instead of just calling a function, and
> that should be completely negligible since, with the rest of your patch, it'd
> then be done in parallel.
  I think your missing the point behind all this, about a week or so ago
I inquired about the external app being executed in the background - you
replied that is was actually put back that way because there were to
many complaints about it taking way to long to change channels I took it
upon myself to find away around that & with the issue of MythTV starting
to record and display a new channel, before it had actually changed -
making things very ugly and actually harder on Myth itself (resulting in
choppy video and/or sound). Whether it is external or not is really not
the point, I just figured putting into MythTV would be a benefit to
users so they wouldnt have to going looking for a good and fast changer
program - especially since its not that big of a deal to add.