[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commits

Fri Dec 19 03:54:40 EST 2003

> not much on the MPEG2-TS streams tho (that is DVB)

As far as I understand it, TS streams are a bunch of PS streams wrapped together and then broadcast in 188 byte packets.  Decoding is trivial if you can count to 188, but you then need to work out which packets are in which PS.  There are some progs called ts2ps and ts2pes (from metzlerbros I think?) which were built as part of the dvb drivers tools in order to extract the streams you want.

The detail of extracting the correct streams from TS is either that you know which PIDs you want, or else you can parse an embeded PAT table which describes the contents of the TS stream.

That's a paraphrase, but basically it means that TS can be reduced to PS, and PS techniques applied from there