[mythtv] Re: Solving my performance problems...

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Wed Dec 17 20:28:36 EST 2003

On Wednesday 17 December 2003 06:13 pm, Mark Frey wrote:
> 2. Can someone give me some good scenarios to test the filetransfer code?
> What are the various ways to initiate file transfers through the UI?

You can abuse libs/libmythtv/infostructs.cpp // ChannelInfo::LoadIcon to use
the filetransfer code instead of local file loads if you need something to
test with.

> 3. I've removed some of the qApp->lock()/unlock() pairs in RemoteFile, and
> bypassed some by using WriteBlock(QDeviceSocket...) rather than
> WriteBlock(QSocket...). I traced through the code and cannot see that these
> serve any purpose other than to serialize a bunch of unrelated stuff on the
> backend. I am prepared to be *completely* wrong about this. Does anyone
> know of any purpose to these locks?

The qApp locks are leftovers from when the code was using QSocket instead of
QSocketDevice.  QSockets need to grab the global Qt event lock to function
properly (sends events internally, etc).  QSocketDevices are just a small
socket wrapper objects, and don't need the lock.  All of em should be able to
be removed from the RemoteFile class without a problem now.

Isaac