[mythtv] Remote file timeout.

avalanche at beyondmonkey.com avalanche at beyondmonkey.com
Sat Dec 13 12:23:04 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jukka Kangas" <jka at purske.fi>
To: "Development of mythtv" <mythtv-dev at mythtv.org>
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 11:08 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv] Remote file timeout.

> > Does it timeout every time? RequestBlock is called more than once per second,
> > the quickTimeout is set to about 4 seconds. I suspect it takes your backend
> > longer to send the first packet, otherwise playback would not work at all
>
> Yes, it did timeout every time. I clocked the start up time with a
> timer, it's around 2.5 - 3 seconds before the playback starts. So, the 4
> seconds should have been enough...
>
> > even with the longer timeout. With the longer timeout you probably still
> > have the 4+ second delay till playback starts?
> >
> > You could try the following - revert your patch, libmyth/util.cpp line 152,
> > double the quickTimeout to 300 (or see what fits).
>
> Yes this works, thanks!
>
> > Could you post you frontend/backend and stream specs?
>
> I'm not quite sure all what you want, but here is some basic info.
>
> backend:
> AMD Athlon 1,40 GHz, 512MB RAM
> 60GB Maxtor 4W060H4
> 100MB 3c905C-TX
> Old Hauppauge: 00:0b.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree
> Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (rev 02)
> Linux 2.4.23
>
> frontend:
> Dell Inspiron 8200 Laptop
> Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 1.70GHz, 256MB RAM
> 100MB 3c905C-TXMB
> nVidia GeForce4 440 Go
> Linux 2.6.0-test11 (pre-empt)
>
> Software encoder (v4l based):
> 560x448 (PAL)
> Video: RTjpeg, quality 170
> Audio: MP3, 32000, quality 7

With that setup your backend should normally be able to respond within
the ~4 (may be a bit less) second timeout. Have you checked your HD DMA
settings? I know that some of the Maxtor drives can have acoustic
management (hdparm -M) enabled by default, that can have quite an impact
on HD seek times.

av