[mythtv] using GNU configure

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 10 23:18:37 EST 2003

Isaac Richards <ijr at po.cwru.edu> writes:

> On Wednesday 10 December 2003 09:23 pm, sg wrote:
>>   before i get more into this, i was wondering
>> whether there is a general interest in this, as well
>> as would it get accepted into CVS (if done :))
>
> I'm sorry, but it won't.  autoconf/make/whatever is evil.  I won't have it
> anywhere in my code =)

You don't know what you're missing....  They may be evil, but it's
certainly the least evil tool that does what it does, and it
definitely helps the portability issues.

> I would, however, gladly accept a (more beefy but still simple) shell-based
> configure script.

You do realize that you can use autoconf _just_ to build the configure
script, without it actually building any makefiles?  The tools ARE
separable.

> Isaac

-derek