[mythtv] A prelude to transcoding MPEG2->MPEG2

Jim Paris jim at jtan.com
Sat Dec 6 11:26:44 EST 2003

> One thing i just realized is that DVD-Lab (for Windows) has the ability
> to set chapters on a per-frame basis.  I wonder how they do that.  Of
> course it is probably not releant, since it could just be some tricks in
> the headers, but still, it implies that the DVD spec requires that a
> player can decode several-frames without displaying them, and pick up at
> an arbitrary b/p/i frame.  Or maybe it doesn't really work, I can't say
> i've actually used that feature.

Aah, interesting.  If it does work, you might be able to mark the
cut-section as a chapter and then use the DVD's scripting to
automatically skip over the chapter on playback.  The cut section
would still be in the MPEG stream and take up space, but maybe you
don't care if you're only trying to archive shows..

-jim