[mythtv] A prelude to transcoding MPEG2->MPEG2

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Sat Dec 6 10:38:23 EST 2003

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 02:40:26 -0500, "Jim Paris jim-at-jtan.com
|mythtv/1.0-Allow|" <elxwhpgqut0t at sneakemail.com> said:
> Yeah, seems like MPEG really just wasn't designed for cutting.
> What we really need is a way to say "here's a frame, decode it to use
> as a reference but don't display it".  Could you pull some trickery
> like giving a bogus PTS to make that happen?

Hard to say, as I still don't really understand how the PTS works.

> Yeah, audio sync could be a pain.  Are you even guaranteed that the
> cut for both audio and video will occur in the same PES?

I dunno.  This is why I'm now considering demuxing/remuxing the audio.
When I make DVDs using DVD-Lab
 (for Windows), I always need to demux the audio.  I'm not sure why, but
 i think it makes adding chapters easier (you can make sure the PES
 starts at a chapter boundary perhaps?)

> > Considering the complexiity of keeping an MPEG2 stream compliant, I think
> > the easier approach will be the GOPchop approach.
>
> GOPchop still has issues with audio sometimes, I've heard.  It doesn't
> really handle audio -- it apparently just keeps all non-video data
> along for the ride while doing his chopping and hopes that it works.

Good to know.  Sounds like I should steer clear of GOPchop from what you
and James are saying.