[mythtv] Two Bugs in Mythtv v0.11 & Two Usability Requests

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Tue Aug 26 21:16:59 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 07:00 pm, Todd Greene wrote:

> (1) The frontend hangs or crashes if the backend is not running.  It would
> be nice if the frontend detected the backend being down, and gave a nice
> error message.  (I also noticed that the backend is crashing more in 0.11,
> but I haven't figured out when yet).

	Hmmm .... define "hangs or crashes"? All modules work fine even if the
backend is never started, except (of course) for core TV stuff. If you try to
watch actual TV without starting a backend, you should get a message along
the lines of:

		Could not connect to backend server

> (2) (Using PVR250): If mythtv is recording a program on a channel that has
> no reception (i.e. the antenna is unplugged for example), the result is a
> small mpeg file that causes problems with the Mythtv.  When scrolling
> through the "Watch Recordings" menu, the UI hangs for ~10 seconds or more
> on each of these recordings.

	At the risk of sounding ever so slightly sensible, perhaps you might want to
avoid trying to time-shift white noise? Data compression is a bit of a CPU
burden when the input source is completely random.

> (1) When choosing a menu option (especially "Watch Recordings", or
> "Weather") there is usually a long delay (~5-7 seconds) before the next
> screen is displayed.  (This may also be exaggerated because my backend is a
> Pentium 3/450).  When a menu is selected, it would be nice if Myth would
> make a sound, and possibly even put up a message that says "loading." so
> the user knew that their button-click was registered.

	Yeah, that would be great. There are actually many comments in the current
source that say, "If I had a way to ring a bell, I'd do it now." Now ... let
me think ... why hasn't this problem already been solved .... hmmmmm ....

> (2) The ability to pop-up a help menu during TV/recording watching so
> people could remember the keyboard commands.  It would be nice if this was
> configurable with a custom jpg, this way people could put pictures of their
> own remotes and show the key mappings that applied to their setup.

	You know what would be even better. If myth could figure out my exact
intentions and then read my mind. That way, I'd only really need one (2?)
buttons on my remote. Plus, I would never have to remember anything.

> Hope this helps.  In the future, which list would be better for this type
> of email:  users or dev?

	Er, uhm, /dev/null

-thor