[mythtv] digital hook-ups

Matt Porter mporter at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Aug 26 10:22:20 EDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 06:04:17AM -0700, Stephen Schmidt wrote:
> --- Matt Porter <mporter at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> > This is the card I've been running for 4 months now
> > exclusively with
> > SPDIF output.  MythVideo wouldn't be the same if I
> > couldn't listen
> > to my DVD rips with the DD5.1 track.

> Thanks for the info...
> Is it possible to watch TV in 5.1 though? record in 5.1?

I'm still studying the code, but it's pretty clear that only
the prelim. hdtvrecorder allows that at the moment (since it's
inherent in the ATSC standard and the raw TS is captured anyway).
Well, I guess the dvbrecorder would have it as well.  Support
needs to be added to the nuv recorder for an AC3 audio stream
to be passed through from your SPDIF input. Likewise, the nuv
player would need to detect an AC3 stream and perform the usual
magic (like mplayer/xine/etc) so your driver doesn't output the
data as raw PCM.

-Matt