[mythtv] MythChannels checkin review (was: DVB todo list)

Mon Aug 18 15:51:54 EDT 2003

> > I also have a really bad feeling with the number of new tables. I

..snip..

> crypt, conditionalaccess ->  for CA support
> provider, languages -> for DVB support (provider also for CA)
> satellite, diseqc, diseqc_ports -> for DVB-s support

Here's an idea:

Since most of these are lookups (I think?), what about having a "Lookups" table, with a "Type" column and a "Value" field (in fact there is something already which looks a little but like this...?).  Now you just have to retrieve from the table all values with key "crypt", to get your lookup values

Admitedly this stops you setting up foreign key constraints with columns, but that can be emulated by only allowing certain values to be entered in each column (this is a bit nasty because it's not dynamic, but does anyone care? Does mysql even have foreign key constraints?).

This is not going to get many marks on the year end project, but it may be a satisfactory way of keeping the table count down on a real project?

Ed W