[mythtv] DVB todo list (was: DVB & mythchannels)

Mon Aug 18 11:43:08 EDT 2003

> >>Setup (channel config, channel list import) is being worked on (by Ramon)
> >>

> >It's coming on really nicely.
> >
> Yes :-)
>
> But it needs to be reviewed and accepted to get into CVS. There may be a
> number of (significant?) changes necessary.

Lets get on and do this I guess.  I'm happy to help with this as well.

> >>Station vs. channel separation
> >>
> >Can you expand on what you mean by that?
> >
> I wrote *extensive* emails about that in spring.

> Basically, MythTV needs to learn about the concept of a "station" (e.g.
> BBC1) in contrast to a "channel" (BBC1 on analog TV, channum E23 or on
> DVB satellite Astra 1F, freq 123465456 Hz, Pol ..., PIDs ...). The user
> only deals with stations and MythTV uses the best available channel.

Yeah, I thought this is what you meant, and I do agree, I just wanted to be clear that's all.  This will need some fairly structural changes I suspect?

> Another addition to the todo-list: channel changing in LiveTV is slow.
> Kenneth wanted to get exact numbers, where exactly it's spending the
> time and what's the culprit.

The time is consistent with changing a DVB channel, plus some time to buffer the output.  ie mythtv is not instant changing on analogue, the time taken with DVB seems to be the time taken under analogue PLUS the time taken to retune the DVB.

It's not clear to me why DVB takes so long to retune, especially when the channel is on the same mux anyway... Seems to be constant time regardless of whether you are tuning to the same stream or a different stream.  I suspect things can be done to improve this at the driver level for example.

Ed W