[mythtv] automatic CPU detection

Rick Altherr kc8apf at kc8apf.net
Sun Aug 17 18:52:09 EDT 2003

The only thing you need to be careful of is processors outside of Intel.
I've successfully compiled MythTV on PPC.  I ended up having to comment
out a lot of code that uses MMX since the assembler on PPC has no idea
what those instructions are.

A better solution may be to create ifdef'd blocks of code for each CPU
type and then runtime checks for features present (MMX, SSE, Altivec).
That way it can be compiled on anything and impliments advanced features
when possible.
--
Rick Altherr
KC8APF