[mythtv] metadata segfault

Mark Edwards mark at edwards.homelinux.net
Tue Aug 12 09:01:50 EDT 2003

Isaac, Joe, et al...

There's a repeatable segfault bug in cdrip.cpp at the moment - I only located it due to the fact that I need to take my CD's out of the drive while I read the printing on the CD so I can type in the metadata....

Basically, if you commence ripping a CD, but eject the tray, you get a segfault when you try and type something into one of the metadata fields.

Diagnosis is this:

Metadata dialog fields are connected to the textChanged signal. Each keypress generates a signal, which generates a new CdDecoder to get the metadata. If there is no CD, there is no CdDecoder, the metadata pointer is null and cdrip.cpp then tries to update the artist member. Bang.

I think a number of assumptions are valid here...

1. If you put a CD in the drive to rip it, it's probably going to be the one you rip.
2. It's valid to take the CD out of the drive temporarily during the metadata update process (IMHO)
3. If you try break the system by putting a new disc in the drive before you hit "import", then it's pretty simple to check if it is the same CD you started with....

What I am suggesting is that the metadata is only truly committed to the database when you hit the "Import This Cd" button _and_ it's the same CD we started with....

This will also give me a basis to fix the segfault error...

Didn't want to start work on this before checking with the list and also you seeing as you're submitting patches in this area too...

Mark Edwards.