[mythtv] green/static screen w/current CVS

Elgas, Damon delgas at engin.umich.edu
Thu Aug 7 13:43:59 EDT 2003

First, I'd like to commend all involved with this project.  Myth is
unbelievable.

I've been running myth cvs for several weeks without problems. On
8-5-03, I updated to the latest CVS source.

After installing, when I go to watch LiveTV, I get a green/static screen
(almost like it's the wrong input), although myth displays S-Video
(correctly) on-screen when I hit 'c' to change inputs.  S-video is the
only input source I use.

(a) If I set the default input for the capture card to something other
than S-Video (composite1 or Television, for example), I can then press
'c' once I go to 'Watch TV' and it works... Until I escape out of 'Watch
TV' and re-enter, at which point I get the same green screen... But this
time pressing 'c' doesn't do anything... Weird.  So, it appears as if:

(1) the default input is not being set correctly for my capture card.
It's a standard bt878 capture card.

(2) in my experience, myth saves the state of the input source, e.g.
even if my default is set to S-Video in the database, if I switch to TV
using 'c', exit from 'Watch TV', then reenter 'Watch TV', myth will
remember the last input you were watching and that will be displayed.
This isn't happening for me.

If I restart mythbackend, I can start at (a) above and the whole process
repeats itself.

Oddly enough, under Myth .10 , LiveTV works without a hitch.  Problem
is, im running the latest version of XMLTV... And .10 does strange
things at midnight :)

I backed up my database, deleted it, and started with a clean database
(mc.sql from CVS database directory), and this is still happening.  I've
recompiled CVS myth several times (make clean distclean; ./configure;
make; make install), but the same thing each time.  I also update my CVS
on a daily basis, but continue to have the problem.  I've been seeing
this since the 8-5-03 CVS, but it could have been introduced earlier
because I wasn't updating on a daily basis before that.

Is there a way to do a CVS checkout based on a specific date in the
past?

Here's the output from the mythbackend logfile:
(initial entry is first LiveTV watch session after mythfrontend is
launched)

Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
2003-08-05 19:50:20 adding: localhost as a player 1
2003-08-05 19:50:21 adding: localhost as a player 0
2003-08-05 19:50:21 adding: localhost as a player 0
2003-08-05 19:50:21 adding: localhost as a remote ringbuffer
strange error flushing buffer ...
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
2003-08-05 19:55:30 adding: localhost as a player 0
2003-08-05 19:55:30 adding: localhost as a player 0
2003-08-05 19:55:30 adding: localhost as a remote ringbuffer
strange error flushing buffer ...
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
2003-08-05 19:57:33 adding: localhost as a player 0
2003-08-05 19:57:33 adding: localhost as a player 0
2003-08-05 19:57:33 adding: localhost as a remote ringbuffer
strange error flushing buffer ...
------
I'm willing to provide any information that would assist in debugging
this problem.

I continue to get the 'strange error flushing buffer' even with myth .10

Thanks for any help you can provide!