[mythtv] Fw: DVB Big PATCH, Part I - for CVS pls

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Tue Aug 5 17:02:28 EDT 2003

<snip>

> and I can't see
> channellistsmembers
> > >>

> > > That's a master/detail. A common way to describe this kind of
> > > relationships in a relational model.
> > >
> > Of course. My question was: Why do you need that detail
> table? What do
> > you store there which you can't store elsewhere, e.g. in the channel
> > table? It seems to me that the channels/channels_dvb table and the
> > channellistsmembers table have a 1:1 relationship (or at
> least almost),
> > in which case you can merge them.
>
> That's not necessary have to be 1:1 in this case, Channels
> lists are user
> defined categories (i.e. "Spanish". "Sports", "Cinema").
> It's nice to have the hability to have same channel on many
> lists. BBC can
> belong to both "English" and "News". Also by deleting a
> channel from a list,
> you don't have to necessarily delete the channel itself...
> The only place whete maybe it can be merged it's in the
> master... That would
> be a de-normalization.

Perfectly logical

> > > Will be already used within mythchannels to browse
> channels by groups.
> > > since I'm able to load it....
> > >

> > What is a "group"? We already know providers and channels types. So,
> > groups are music stations, news, sports, movies etc.? Could
> you please
> > add that as comment to the definition?
>
> It's the channel lists. The channel lists are groups of
> channels. Is not
> that complicated, just like a playlist it's for music. Give a
> try and you'll
> see. On the other hand everyone who is familiar with a
> Satellite receiver
> will understand that. Almost all of them currently have this.
> Some of them
> call favorite lists or used defined lists, but I do avoid
> that term to don't
> confuse with mythtv favorites, which btw can nicely complement channel
> lists.

How about adding a "special" group called [Favorites] or something like
that which can be used to manage the favorites?

Hmmm, no that would be silly, better the other way around: why not
change the EPG so that it knows about groups?
That way it could be made to show only the programs from one particular
group (which you can change of course).
The ? could still be used to add/remove the currently selected channel
to/from the currently selected group.

Would be easy for families as well: John's Favorites, Judy's Favorites,
etc.

But probably this is exactly what you had in mind anyway, isn't it? :-)

Cheers,
-Tako