[mythtv] Obtaining TV Listing Data and also Gist.com Closing

John Hurliman jhurliman at myrealbox.com
Fri Apr 25 10:15:36 EDT 2003

Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 06:41:45AM -0700, Adam Lydick wrote:
>

>>Actually, they can. Usage of their site probably requires agreeing to
>>some draconican license agreement. For the 98% of people who don't
>>really care about that, they can just limit the number of pageloads per
>>IP / day. Most normal web surfers are not going to scrape the entire
>>site. Certainly not at the rate that XMLTV does.
>>
>>Adam
>>

>Has anyone considered a distributed sort of data collection via XDS data?
>My television has at least a few days worth of listings, just by listening
>to what's already sent over the wire (or air). mythbackend (or another
>program) could grab the data, submit it to a central server somewhere,
>and distribute it by zipcode/provider/whatever.
>
>This might only be useful in the USA/UK though =)

I believe what you're proposing is a data piracy network, exactly what
Tribune fears. If the data is originally taken from zap2it.com or one of
their clearinghouses and redistributed through another company or a
grass-roots network/server, it's information theft. If you are proposing
to pull listings out of the Guide+ or some over-the-air tv listings,
please post the code to do it! Would kind of defeat the need to pull TV
listings off the net :).

John Hurliman