[mythtv] DVB integration - first attempt!

Wed Apr 23 17:54:02 EDT 2003

> > I'm thinking that a small perl script wrapped around dvbstream would take
> > care of creating a suitable device for myth to access.  We can then start
> > working on the myth side and I am happy to knock you up an mpeg stream
> > which just plays in a loop and gets stuffed down the socket in order to
> > simulate the effect of having a card.
>
> Just a note: It would be wrong to create a fifo with the same path as a
> standard device.  If you name it /dev/video, it must look and act like a v4l
> device, which a named pipe cannot possibly.

Fair enough, I just wanted to illustrate the idea and of course myth scans only that directory for devices - so for the sake of fudging the setup routine I might start with any dodgy hacks there

> (not that I think a named pipe is a good idea in this instance anyway)

Sounds fair enough, but would you care to elaborate why not?  I'm thinking that there could easily be issues with data going missing, blocking, etc.  However, if myth keeps up with the transfer then it should be sufficient for prototyping no?

Please bear in mind I have little experience with this, so this is a genuine question.  Please tell me why *not* to do it!  (before I spoil my day trying anyway...)

Thanks