[mythtv] XMLTV Spanish, gist, DVB & localization

Edward Wildgoose edward.wildgoose at frmhedge.com
Sun Apr 20 00:27:18 EDT 2003

I have done a little bit of research on this recently.  I have just bought a hideously expensive DVB-T card (T = terrestrial, ie free to view over an arial).  The quality is excellent and there are cheap cards available (there is a reason why I bought the expensive card though!).  I will post a writeup on how it works and how to set it up for anyone who is interested when I have had a while to play with it a bit more extensively!

As I understand it, DVB isn't really coming to the US, however, this may not be a problem in terms of adding support to Myth.  I need to collect a bit more info on this, but I hope to post a few links for Isaac to peruse while he is thinking about mpeg2 support.

Basically the current crop of DVB cards can demux an mpeg2 stream directly, you "simply" need to call a command to choose the frequency.  >From there I hope that the mpeg stream can be read in just as from the PVR250 cards.

I hope that we can get Isaac interested in the basic idea because I'm sure that at this stage there are various ways he can implement the PVR250 stuff, however, it would be useful for us if he was also aware of the issues in integrating DVB and had half an eye on making the basic framework capable of being extended to handle DVB at a later stage.

The US seems to have some imcompatible standards for digital TV.  I don't see that it is likely that they will adopt DVB, but as long as PC cards are produced which can demux an MPEG stream (or whatever codec will be used), then it should still be possible to integrate with Myth or another TV program...?