[mythtv] Musings On Standard File Formats

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Sat Apr 19 00:18:52 EDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 08:10:18PM -0400, Michael J. Pedersen wrote:

> Actually, the AVI format does just this. Different codecs, one file
> format. nuv may or may not do the same by default, I don't know.  The
> question is STILL worth visiting, since it would allow people the ability
> to use other tools on MythTV files, without forcing them to pray that it
> will work all the time for them.

The AVI file format is pretty much crap.  If you can't point to an
alternative which can provide everything that the current format does (or
most of it, and extensibility), then that should give a pretty good
indication as to why MythTV does things this way.

Maybe ogg will be viable one day as a video stream container, but it isn't
yet.

--
 - mdz