[mythtv] Re: CONTRIB: startup script for mythbackend (Mandrake 9.1 + others?)

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Thu Apr 17 10:14:42 EDT 2003

On 17 Apr 2003, Stu Tomlinson wrote:

> The 'daemon' function provides a '--user' option, I don't run
> mythbackend as root, adding a MYTHUSER variable and passing that to the
> call to daemon works for me.

I have not seen it documented anywhere, but inside the mythbackend source,
if its run as root, a key thread that reads off the video device bumps
itself up to -10 priority.  This may be a remnent, but it seems like a
good idea to give this thread the best chance.  I might even play around
by taking it to a realtime process and see if it helps any.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Brian