[mythtv] Channel changing Bugs...

Tony Clark tclark at telia.com
Sat Apr 12 22:08:24 EDT 2003

On Saturday 12 April 2003 20.02, Chris Palmer wrote:
> Andrew M. Bishop wrote
>
> > Chris Palmer <mythtv at zencow.com> writes:
> > > I don't see why a chanid has to be based on a channel number.  It
> > > should simply be UNIQUE.  I don't change channels based on the
> > > chanid.
> >
> > I do.
>
> ..snip..
>
> > In europe people select a channel on their TV by chanid which is
> > mapped to channum when the TV is tuned.  The channum is never used
> > except for tuning in a TV or Video or MythTV box.
>
> so...  help me understand the european tv system a little better.
> It pretty simple here in the states:  channel number = frequency.
> when I turn the dial on my TV to 5 (if it had a dial), then that is
> the same channel my neighbor (on the same cable system) will see.
>
> Are you saying that TV's in europe essentially use programmable
> slots for stations?  Does that mean your "channel 5" could be
> different than your neighbor's "channel 5" even on the same
> cable system?  Am I understanding that?
>
> > Forcing all MythTV users to use channum is counter-intuitive

The concept of channel numbers is foriegn in Europe.  You could think of it as
slots I guess.
Slot 1 tuned to channel SE16
Slot 2     "			"	E11
My neighbour  Likes it a little different, we both use the same cable.
Slot 1				E5
Slot 2				SE16
I think you can find out the frequencies from the bttv documentation.  It may
also have other info about different countries.  Here is a bit from my .xawtv

[defaults]
norm = pal
input = television
capture = over