[mythtv] Channel changing Bugs...

Andrew M. Bishop amb at gedanken.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 12 13:23:27 EDT 2003

Chris Palmer <mythtv at zencow.com> writes:

> I don't see why a chanid has to be based on a channel number.  It
> should simply be UNIQUE.  I don't change channels based on the
> chanid.

I do.

> I don't view the program guide based on the chanid.

I do.

> The
> database can keep things organized using an AUTOINCREMENT field for
> the chanid.  The only additional design overhead is having to query
> the db for the last chanid just after you do an insert, so you can
> know the chanid to use for other inserts into other tables.

I added the --manual option to the mythfilldatabase program just so
that people can set their own channel id in the order they prefer

In europe people select a channel on their TV by chanid which is
mapped to channum when the TV is tuned.  The channum is never used
except for tuning in a TV or Video or MythTV box.  Forcing all MythTV
users to use channum is counter-intuitive and a backward step to what
MythTV was like in September before Isaac added the chanid to the
database.

If you are trying to solve the "channum>1000" problem then you can
blame me for it because I added the "id * 1000 + channum" code to
mythfilldatabase.  But whatever you do please don't remove the chanid,
people DO use it.

--
Andrew.
Andrew M. Bishop                             amb at gedanken.demon.co.uk