[mythtv] Thanks

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch.news at beonex.com
Thu Apr 10 06:59:41 EDT 2003

Thanks, Isaac and all the others working on MythTV and making it such a
great application for us all. Also to the coders of libavcodec, who made
all this possible. It's one of othe most exciting applications for the
computer I stumbled across recently. It's all that I wanted to have for
a long time (TV/video digitally over the network), and much more (EPG,
comfortable scheduled recordings, time-shifting incl. pause and rewind).
It is absolutely great that this all works, it makes TV a wholly new,
much better experience.

There is definitely still work to do. Adaption to Europe (channel number
etc.), stability (it hangs and crashes too often), possibly easier setup
and 1 or 2 features here and there, but without complicating it further.
But it's impressive how professional it all is already, esp. the visual
appearance ;-).

To do my part on the adaption to Europe, I wrote a converter of the
German tvmovie XML data to XMLTV, including handling of umlauts (they
were totally broken in the standard data source from xmltv-utils) and a
lot of description for each program (there were almost nothing). I can
only hope that the tvmovie data source stays online :-(. Source code and
details for the converter will follow later.