[mythtv] Can I have 0.8 *and* CVS installed and working at the same time?

Chris Palmer mythtv at zencow.com
Wed Apr 9 18:40:47 EDT 2003

Andy Davidoff wrote
> The same way; MySQL is happy to use a symlink to a directory holding
> the database.  You can do this without restarting MySQL, but you need
> to know what you're doing. :-)  A safer approach:
>
> 	stop myth, mysql
> 	ln -sf $MYSQL_DATA_DIRECTORY/target $MYSQL_DATA_DIRECTORY/mythconverg
> 	start mysql, myth
>
> ...where target is an appropriately named mythconverg database directory.
>

> On Apr 09, at 17:12, Tom Panning encoded a 1.5K recording:
> > Other people will hopefully have suggestions for how to handle the
> > database.

that seems too klunky to me, Andy.  I'd recommend just creating a
new database ("mythconverg2" or "mythconvergdev" maybe) within your
existing MySQL setup (edit the mc.sql file in your "development"
version to create it and needed permissions with the different name)
and just change your mysql.txt file to choose which database to
point to.  If that mysql.txt file is ignored and "mythconverg" is
hardcoded anywhere, then this won't work, but that would be pretty
messed up.

You can make this safe by logging into your system as a different
users, each with their own source tree and mysql.txt file, so that
you don't accidentally have the wrong database active for the wrong
version.

That doesn't help with the libraries or executables, but you could
simply do a "make install" (as root) from the appropriate dir after
you compile to change up which version of mythtv is active, or use
"GNU Stow" as someone else mentioned (looked pretty interesting).

I will likely do this with separate source directories and separate
~/.mythtv dirs and then have a script to create a symlink to the
one I'm running at the time so that all user configs are kept for
each version.  I'll first move my .mythtv to .mythtv.stable and then
create a dir .mythtv.dev and copy everything from .mythtv.stable to
.mythtv.dev to get it populated, then symlink it.

I like having the stable version I'm currently running from about
2 weeks ago, but I want to try out the current CVS code for the
new OSD prettiness.  :)

-Chris