[mythtv] libmyth

Thor Sigvaldason mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 17:26:22 -0400

On Saturday 21 September 2002 05:17 pm, you wrote:

> Anyway, 'libmyth' isn't too library-ish yet, but I've got all the mythtv
> apps and mythmusic using it now.

	Lots of files flying around ....  :-)

> Hmm.  I'd think the best way to do this is using nfs mounts, really..  Just
> have to tell it to use the basement server for the mysql queries, and
> search all specified locations for files to play, and you've got a remote
> box.

	Well .... yes, but then you need NFS. I'm thinking about 3 (6?, 12?) months
from now when I should be able to P2P files from MythBox to MythBox,
regardless of where they are or if a particular tree is in /etc/exports. I
just think a clean client/server model (with requisite protocol between them)
will end up paying huge dividends in terms of flexibility ... my 2 cents :-)

> > 	On a related note, are you planning to move MythMusic into the main MC
> > executable, or is the plan for it to stay separate (?). Just wondering
> > about how to best start sticking mythLCD into other things.
>
> I think I'm going to keep it separate for now.  Hm.  How well does lcdproc
> deal with having multiple programs try and talk to it?

	The lcdproc server is desiged to handle many clients, so that's not a
problem. I'll need to add a public method to lcddevice though in the form of
switchToNothing(), so that, say, mythfrontend can lower the priority of all
it's lcd screens and let a completely different lcddevice object in MythMusic
get all the lcd screen time. Very easy to do. In fact, I'll do it now.

BR,

Thor

Thor Sigvaldason <thor@sigvaldason.com>
For my PGP/GnuPG public key, send an e-mail to thorskey@sigvaldason.com