Fwd: Re: [mythtv] MythLCD

Thor Sigvaldason mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 17:29:49 -0400

> Very nice API -- should be easy to integrate into things.

	Thanks. It's been a while since I wrote any C++ code.

> What do you
> think of a little shared lib for stuff like this and the menu code, that
> should be used between the different myth* applications?

	Absolutely. In fact, it would be nice to have a fairly large shared lib that
can do the lcd stuff, handle menus, and even act as a "Myth Server". If it
can access the database and knows about where content is on the filesystem,
then it could be the "thing" that could serve content to any requesting
client whether local or across a network (to solve all of those "I want the
server in my basement and a diskless box in my living room" requests).

	Whenever you start building a lib, all the algorithms and logic go in there,
and the GUI's become lighter (more and more like thin clients).

	The alternative, of course, is a lighter library and a separate mythServer
process. Either way, I'd really like to get to a point where you can
configure mythboxes as peers on a network. It just opens up so much potential
(mythFarms in your basement that record oodles of programs [e.g. handoff of
conflicts], p2p file sharing, to end-user streaming, dedicated re-encoding
boxes for DVD/VCD burning, etc., etc.).

	On a related note, are you planning to move MythMusic into the main MC
executable, or is the plan for it to stay separate (?). Just wondering about
how to best start sticking mythLCD into other things.

BR,

Thor

Thor Sigvaldason <thor@sigvaldason.com>
For my PGP/GnuPG public key, send an e-mail to thorskey@sigvaldason.com