[mythtv] perf survey
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:52:04 -0400
OK, I want to get to the bottom of my performance issues. (I get
unpleasant jitter with any codec at any resolution higher than
To that end, if you have a jitter/hang/stutter-free life *while
recording one thing and watching another* on an Athlon XP 1800 with
bt878 and gforce4 chips, at 480x480 or larger with any codec, I'm
interested in learning:
- What codec are you using?
- Are you using the nvidia binary driver?
- Is your mysql colocated on the server with mythtv?
- What is your disk speed? 7200? 5400? Other?
- What is your disk buffer size? 2MB? Other?
[ cat /proc/ide/hda/cache ]
- What are your dma, multcount, and prefetch settings?
[ hdparm /dev/hda ]
- What are your "elevator" settings? [ elvtune /dev/hda1 ]
- What is your CPU and bus speed? [ cat /proc/cpuinfo ]
- What is your memory type, speed, configuration, and size?
- What is your motherboard chipset? [ a function of `cat /proc/pci` ]
- What is your kernel version? [ uname -a ]
- What is your compiler version? [ gcc -v ]
Grant Taylor - gtaylor<at>picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
Linux Printing Website and HOWTO: http://www.linuxprinting.org/