[mythtv] Thoughts on encoder farms / distributed capturing and viewing

Robert Middleswarth mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:55:28 -0500

Robert Kulagowski wrote:

>>Pulling Data from Box A all three adding up to over 10 Megs way
>>above  the limit I have seen on most signal nic card.  It could be
>>done but  would require 2 to 3 nics on separt networks and Switch
>>adding cost and
>>complety in my opion.
>>

>I'm not sure that separate NICs are required - it seems like you're
>talking about establishing multiple point to point links.  As I
>stated, at 10Mbps shared, multiple data streams will be a problem,
>but when a 10/100 Mbps NIC is $5, (check http://www.pricewatch.com,
>or go to your local microcenter) and a GigabitE card is $45
>(pricewatch again) and a 8 port 100Mbps switch is $20 (pricewatch, or
>microcenter), the extra money required to get sufficient data rates
>isn't "crazy" money.

I don't rember using the term "crazy" money last night will need to
review my message.  No Point ot Point setup would probly not what I was
talking about.  I am aware that nic and switches are cheap.  however
someday this project is going to be used by people who are just reading
a sheet and not 100% sure how to install linux in the 1st place or buy
pre done boxes and trying to set it up and then that complexty really
show.  This is from someone who everyday has to tell someone that you
have to click on the big E under windows to get to the Inet under windows.

Robert