[mythtv] Weird Audio Problems

mythtv-dev@snowman.net mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:46:59 -0500 (EST)

I've been trying to get mythtv working but have been running up against a
weird intermittent issue with the audio.

The box I'm using has integrated audio and uses the VIA686 driver.

My initial attempts at getting mythtv working had problems with the kernel
audio driver ... it would hang attempting to initialize the audio
component (actually, it would often hang the system).  Anyway, I decided
to punt the shipping driver for the ALSA version.  This worked ... sort of
... well, at least it didn't hang.

Now, when starting the mythtv app, I get this:

$ mythtv

Probed: /dev/video0 - Television
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite1
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
ran out of free AUDIO buffers :-(
ran out of free AUDIO buffers :-(
ran out of free AUDIO buffers :-(

on for a while until it either segfaults or a video window comes up with
extremely choppy video.

The only problem with this is that it doesn't *always* happen.  About 1
out of 8 attempts will succeed.  TV playing will be flawless, captures
perfect, ... it just works.

I like what I see enough when it does work to want to work through the
issue.  I messed around a bit with uping the buffers in libNuppelVideo
without much luck.

Any clues would be helpful.