[mythtv] Speed of mythepg?

Andrew M. Bishop mythtv-dev@snowman.net
28 Oct 2002 17:14:06 +0000

Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu> writes:

> On Sunday 27 October 2002 02:33 am, Justin Hawkins wrote:
> >
> > Just wondering how fast I should expect mythepg to be?
> >
> > On my Athlon 1.2 it takes about 1 second to scroll left and right. I have
> > 5 channels. I also have an few gaps in my program guide around midnight,
> > which return back 'unknown' in mythepg. However, scrolling to these items
> > takes about 5 seconds. As you can imagine this makes it quite difficult to
> > see what movies are on tomorrow night :-)

Do you have the pretty background image enabled?  I tried running
mythepg remotely over 10 Mbps ethernet with the background image and
the network traffic was enormous.  It slowed down scrolling to the
sort of speed that you mention.

> > There is a lot of traffic needed to scroll (from watching my quite
> > unscientific tcpdump :-), and about 5 times as much traffic when 'unknown'
> > programs start showing up.
> >
> > My MySQL server is not that grunty (P233MMX) but, it's not that much
> > information right?
>
> The major slowdown right now is that it looks up every program for every 5
> minute interval right now..  It wasn't as bad a design issue back when it
> only dealt with 30 minute intervals, but Andrew's changes to make it more
> accurate display-wise are making it do it every 5 minutes, and thus
> generating 6 times more lookups.  The thing to do would be to only look up
> each program once, and skip ahead to the next one without hitting the DB
> server for the extraneous data..  It'd be a little bit of work, but if anyone
> wants to submit a patch to do it before I get to doing it, that'd be welcome.

Looking up a program once would mean a big change to the way that the
code works now.  It also won't work with "Unknown" programs for which
there is no database entry.  These need to be looked up in each time
slot since they have no duration.

> > Alternatively, a different set of keystrokes (page up, page down?) could
> > move entire pages, while left and right arrow preserve their current
> > behaviour.
>
> I was pondering this right before I left on vacation -- took awhile to scroll
> through a week's worth of programs to select what I wanted.  So yeah, I've
> added that to my TODO list.

Since I only have a remote control with a limited number of buttons
can I ask that you consider using one of the number buttons for this
scrolling.  They are not used at the moment for the EPG or for video
playback, I am sure that there must be something useful we can do with
them.

--
Andrew.
Andrew M. Bishop                             amb@gedanken.demon.co.uk