[mythtv] WinTV Stereo--Recommended?

Jeremy Oddo mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 23:18:52 -0700 (PDT)

OK, I think I'm going to give mythTV a shot...I mean, what do I have to
lose except time and money ;)  Seriously, looks like Isaac is doing some
amazing things (as a side note, Isaac, you should put up a
ThinkGeek/CD/DVD/etc wishlist.  Those of us that don't have time to
contribute to the code would still like to contribute *some* way!)

It looks like I'm going to (I need to) get the WinTV-Stereo card.  Here's
why I'm going with this card:  (1) I need to have stereo outs, (2) my
cheap mobo has a built-in graphics card with *no* AGP slot, so I have to
go PCI, and (3) seems like a lot of people are using the WinTV cards.

Does this seem like a wise choice?  Does anyone want to push me into
another direction?

I poked around a bit on-line and several pages say that the card does:
- VIDEO INPUTS:  CABLE COAX RCA AND S-VIDEO
- VIDEO OUTPUTS:  NONE
- AUDIO CAPTURE:  YES
- VIDEO STANDARDS SUPPORTED:  NTSC
- RESOLUTIONS SUPPORTED:  160 X 120
- COLORS SUPPORTED:  256

This doesn't seem right...a resolution of 160x120 and 256 colors?!  Is
that the software that's causing that limitation?  I'd like to do 640x480.
 Is it possible with the WinTV-Stereo?

Yeah, I know, a lot of questions, but I'd kinda like to get some straight
answers before making a purchase.

Thanks all,
Jeremy