[mythtv] Streaming video

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 00:24:05 -0400

On Wednesday 23 October 2002 01:36 am, tarek Lubani wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> I have not yet scoured the mailing list archives for something on this, but
> from my prelim. searches on the topic and some previous experience, i don't
> think it's been addressed..
>
> My questions:
>
> 1) What are thoughts on getting Myth setup to stream? I'm trying to figure
> out what exactly is going on with the .nuv.. i looked around for a free
> (GPL?) video streaming thingi on linux a while back, but didn't find
> anything suitable for even the most basic tasks.. Would it be at all
> suitable here to just share the .nuv file, and then run some sort of media
> player that doesn't care about end of file? i.e., it'll keep going past it?
> that may pose some problems, but may work.. Other than that, has any
> consideration been given to how this would happen?

The current player class is practically ready for streaming as it is.  It'd
really only require some extra buffering and read wrappers in the RingBuffer
class, and it'd be pretty much good to go.

> 2) Can I setup Mythtv to play a DVD (by launching another program?), or to
> play some of my pre-existing movie/Simpsons episode collection? I've seen a
> few curious scripting things that seem like they would make this quite
> easy.. If scripting can be used to accomplish this (without caveats), then
> that sort of simple answer is all I need, and I'll pursue it further..

Making a button and binding it to play DVDs would be easy enough, just look at
how the mainmenu.xml file runs mythmusic for an example.  Playback of other
media types would just need something that does a directory search for
allowable file extensions, displays a list of matching files, and runs a user
specified program when selected..  Pretty much extremely easy code, if anyone
wants to do it.

> 3) I love myth, but the documentation seems to be slightly lacking.. Can I
> contribute to the documentation effort?

Sure.

Isaac