[mythtv] mythtv binary error

Dave Caplinger mythtv-dev@snowman.net
15 Oct 2002 21:31:28 -0500

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 08:45, John Tapper wrote:
> How do I check the version of the bttv driver?  And do I need to recompile my
> kernel to upgrade the bttv driver?
>
> here is the output about bttv from lsmod.
>
> bttv                   71424   0  (autoclean)
> videodev                8288   3  (autoclean) [bttv]
> i2c-algo-bit            8840   1  (autoclean) [bttv]
> i2c-core               19236   0  (autoclean) [tuner tvaudio bttv i2c-algo-

The best way I can think of is to rmmod bttv and videodev, then start up
a new shell and tail -f /var/log/messages.  Then, in the first shell
window do a 'modprobe bttv' and as the bttv driver loads it will output
it's version and plenty of other information into the /var/log/messages
file (which you'll be able to see in the second window).

If you want to upgrade it, yes you'll need to recompile your kernel
(because the v4l2 API that bttv 0.8.x uses is a patch against the kernel
source). Here's a rough outline of how I built mine:

*  Download kernel source for linux-2.4.19 from http://www.kernel.org/
*  Download newest bttv 0.8.46 from http://bytesec.org/bttv/
*  Download the v4l2-api-2.4.19.diff patch from bytesex.org as well
*  Unpack the linux source into /usr/src
*  Make the symlink so /usr/src/linux points to /usr/src/linux-2.4.19
*  cd /usr/src (if you're not there already)
*  patch -p1 < v4l-api-2.4.19.diff
*  cd linux
*  make menuconfig  (or 'make xconfig' if you prefer)
*  make dep
*  make
*  make modules
*  make bzImage
*  make install
*  make modules_install

(basically everything up to this point except for the patch is standard
"how to build your own kernel" stuff, and is well-documented on the web,
etc.)

*  reboot
*  cd (whatever)/bttv-0.8.46
*  make
*  make install
*  modprobe bttv  (watch /var/log/messages for errors etc.)
*  assuming that worked, try 'xawtv'

This should't be taken as a complete list; you'll want to make sure you
keep a copy of your old kernel and configure lilo (or whatever boot
loader you use) so you can boot that old kernel in case the new one you
made doesn't work right -- this is especially important if this is your
first time building a new kernel; you might forget some critical things
during your 'make menuconfig' step.  Also, there might be some editing
to do on your /etc/modules.conf file (and if you're running debian you
don't edit this file directly) before you can do the final 'modprobe
bttv' part.

Good luck!

- Dave