[mythtv] no picture, no sound ... ?

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 16:17:33 -0400

On Saturday 12 October 2002 02:57 pm, Dr. J. S. Pezaris wrote:
>    From: Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu>
>
>    No, it's hanging.  It should either be printing an error message saying
> why it couldn't setup the Xv stuff, or saying what Xv port it was using
> after it sucessfully set it up.  It's not doing either, so it's hanging =)
>
> Aha.  I'm at a loss, then, to explain why the ringbuf.nuv file is growing
> as mythtv runs (and not coincidentally, the disk access light shows
> activity).

Threads.  The playback threads are what's hanging, the recording threads are
still going fine.

>    You said xawtv only works when you use the -noxv switch?  I assume it
> hangs as well?
>
> Not exactly.  Without the -noxv switch, xawtv is fully functional, except
> that the opened window shows a display that is garbled (typically purplish
> lines as if sync wasn't locked-in) and unchanging.  The UI works, and when
> you change channels, it updates the garbled display to a new, fixed,
> garbled display.
>
> With the -noxv switch, xawtv works fine, except there's no audio.  The
> opened window is live TV, changing channels works fine, etc., the UI works
> as you'd expect, save the lack of audio.  The audio is fine when using
> "radio" to use the FM tuner part of the board.  A stereo patch cord is in
> place between the TV caputre card output and the motherboard audio input,
> and is required for "radio" operation, so is functional.  But right now,
> working video is the larger issue.

Weird.  Well, I suppose you could insert debugging statements in throughout
the XJ::Init() function in libs/libNuppelVideo/XJ.cpp and see exactly where
it stops..  Other than that, dunno what else to have you do, really.

>    > Is there some other tool that understands the .nuv format that I can
>    > use to check if the contents of ringbuf.nuv is valid?
>
>    Nope, there's not.  Well, if you record an entire program and then go to
>    the 'Watch a Recording' screen in mythfrontend, it'll play a little
> preview video of the file, without sound..
>
> Can I rename ringbuf.nuv to an appropriate filename so that the video
> player can find it?  I'll start recording a show in a few minutes, in any
> case to have something to check.

Nope, it needs to have a database entry to show up in the list of recordings,
and the only way you can get that is to finish a recording.

Isaac