[mythtv] no picture, no sound ... ?

John Pezaris mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:31:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

I've got a Shuttle FV25 motherboard with a 1.4 GHz Celeron, a built-in
Savage S4 Pro (PM133) video card, and a AverTV Studio video capture card
(previously, I was trying to build a VIA C3-based system, but that
processor just doesn't have the necessary horsepower).  MythTV installs and
compiles fine, database loads, and everything looks good until it comes time
to use it.  Then, MythTV says:

media-box$ mythtv
Probed: Television
Probed: Composite1
Probed: S-Video
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
using rtjpeg

This seems normal, and the buffer file (/data/video/ringbuf.nuv) starts
growing at what seems a reasonable rate, but there's no video and no audio.
No video window is opened.  "ps" indicates 30-40% processor load on the
480x480 recording.

Xawtv works *only* with a -noxv switch, and then works fine.  "radio" (to
control the FM tuner in the AverTV Studio card) works fine, too.  mplayer
works well, although I don't know enough to fully interpret the verbose
status messages.  xvinfo reports that there is a v4l device (Adapter #0)
and a Savage device (Adapter #1).

Anyone have a good test to insure Xv is working correctly on my hardware?

Other tests to run to deduce what's going on?

Cheers,

	- pz.

--
John Pezaris, Ph.D.
pz@hms.harvard.edu

--g9C4U6d07754.1034397006/pz-desk.med.harvard.edu--