[mythtv] Slowdown your DVD/CD-ROM drive?

Henk Poley mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 19:06:53 +0100

> Van: David Klotz <mtv@planetraven.de>

> > > Particularly the part about it being unnecessary  :)
> >
> > Maybe but... Do you have a more constructive answer ?
>
> hdparm -E 4 /dev/dvd works fine for me (and is _really_ much more
> quiet), AS LONG as there is a cd (not a dvd!) in the drive.  as soon, as
> i open the drive the setting reverts back to full speed. and it doesn't
> work with dvd's, so it is only usefull for watching (s)vcds or
> divx-avi's on cd. btw, i have a NEC DV-5700B.
> is this a general problem, that you can't set the speed for dvd
> playback, or may it be a problem with my dvd drive?

No, it's the same with (at least older) speedsetting programs under
Windows. They only set the CD-speed. My windows util (from Nero)
automaticaly re-sets the value when a CD is inserted since some/most CD
players forget it when you press eject.

	Henk Poley <><