[mythtv] Possible Future Option?

Harondel J. Sibble mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 08:07:55 -0800

On 30 Nov 2002 at 0:54, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> I understood fine, but I cannot think of a realistic situation where would be
> useful to me.  Why would you want to place different recordings under
> different paths?

I can think of a few:

1) You have an external/removable/portable hard drive - firewire, USB2.0 etc
2) In relation to the separate encoder and decoder, you could write files to
a local drive and when that's full, write to the network and/or vice versa.
3) You add a second drive and want to alternate recording between drives.,
Say all Buffy shows on drive 1 and all Angel shows on drive 2 etc

If this was a democracy, it would get my vote ;-)

Plus, setting up LVM is more reading and work and also if one f your drives
dies in an LVM setup, you could potentially lose a lot of depending on how
you are setup. In the case that started this thread, you lose the contents on
one but have the stuff on the second or thirs or whatever drive.

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting