[mythtv] Possible Future Option?

Jeremy Oddo mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 23:49:02 -0800 (PST)

> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 09:02:05AM -0800, Jeremy Oddo wrote:
>
>> I don't know how hard this would be to do, but I was thinking of a
>> nice little option (don't know if it's been talked about before).  I
>> think it would be cool to be able to define multiple recording
>> volumes.  Something like:
>>
>> /mnt/store0
>> /mnt/store1
>> /mnt/store2
>> /mnt/store3
>>
>> Each /mnt/store# could be a different drive.  Then, in the SETTINGS
>> option within MythTV, you could pick which path (drive) you want to
>> use.  It might also be cool to list stats by each path (ie: % used, %
>> free, etc.).  Then, when you record a program, the MySQL database
>> could have a field for the path being used for that recording
>> (/mnt/store0, /mnt/store1, etc.).  This would allow you to add drives
>> ad hoc.  You could add storage as you need it.
>
> This is beyond the scope of myth, I think.  What you want is a volume
> manager like EVMS or LVM.  The Linux md driver might also meet your
> needs if it is capable of expanding an existing raid-linear set (I'm not
> sure whether it can).

Perhaps you misunderstood me, because what I am talking about doesn't seem
beyond the scope of myth, seeing as how most of it is already in myth!
I'm not talking about fancy volume managment.  Right now we can define
where we want our recordings to go.  I was just thinking that it would be
cool to be able to define MULTIPLE paths (or an array of paths) and then
be able to select that "record to" path under the "settings" option.  I'm
not much of a coder, but I know this wouldn't take to much coding.  And
I'm guessing that a lot of the variables that are in the settings.txt will
end up in the settings option someday.

Just my thoughts....

Jeremy