[mythtv] mythmusic/cdparanoia question (a little OT).

Jim Radford mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 07:47:53 -0800

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 07:10:20PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 06:41:58PM +0000, Christian Morant wrote:
> > I'm working on the ripping/encoding at the same time (and also adding cddb
> > info in the tables as well as other music refinments) but I would like to
> > know if you too have a cpu usage of 60 to 90 % while ripping an audio cd.

> Welcome to the craptastic world of IDE.  I have a 40x IDE CD-ROM and a 32X
> SCSI CD-RW in this machine.  While the IDE drive does CDDA slightly faster,
> it uses about 1000% more CPU than the SCSI drive.

Nope, that's just linux that's crappy (inspired by the initially
crappy IDE cdroms) as it uses PIO instead of DMA when talking to the
cdrom.  The newer 2.5 kernels don't have this problem thanks to Jens
Axboe.

Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de> on Fri, 18 Oct 2002 writes:
> This patch should make 2.5 ide-cd writing even faster than using
> ide-scsi. Data is read/written directly to/from user space pages, and it
> is done using dma whenever possible.

-Jim