[mythtv] Hardware advice (Via Eden Board) / Video Card.

Ray mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:03:28 -0700

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 03:40:11PM -0800, Harondel J. Sibble wrote:

> On 25 Nov 2002 at 14:59, Ray wrote:
>
> > An Athlon doesn't have to be noisy but you could also look for a P3-Tutilane
> Yes it does, even the quietest fans are still quite noisy.

No really, I've been using big heatsinks (often Alpha 8045T) along with very
slow spinning 80mm fans for a while now with VERY good results.  The PEP66
can also be a good solution if you can find good temp controlled 60mm fans
(or make your own controller).  Admittedly this solution does require
choosing your motherboard and case more carefully and sometimes requires
some time with the dremmel tool but the result is a very quiet cpu cooler.

> You'd probably need to look at some other solution like a pelltier or a
> liquid cooling unit, either that, or one REALLY BIG ASS heatsink....

Peltiers and liquid cooling tend to make noise issues worse rather than
better unless they are VERY carefully thought out.

> Doubt you could find a case to fit that into though ;-)

One of these years I'll try using a heat pipe to connect to a BAH or RBAH
mounted on the case.  I actually have a few heat pipes around here somewhere
but I'm concerned that they'll break when I attempt to bend them.

--
Ray