[mythtv] My Setup and a few notes

Michael Kedl mythtv-dev@snowman.net
24 Nov 2002 05:53:49 -0000

My current setup:
P4-2400 Sager Laptop.
ATI Radeon 7500 M7
AverVideo Tuner/Svideo in/out

I am using 640x400 with mpeg4 for now when watching live video.
Other settings higher seem to glitch after a few minutes even though
the cpu load never exceeds 80%.  At 640x400 it seems to run fine (at least
after a few hours its still fine).

I have made a few changes, nothing big.
1) I run with a virtual desktop since I simply switch from 1280x1024 to
800x600 when I want to use MythTV.  So I changed the mythtv to follow the
size set in the settings instead of "fullscreen" which expands to the full
1280x1024 even if the screen size is 800x600.
2) To get the TV out to work I integrated in the atitvout calls.
3) I run xmame in DGA modes, so I hooked the atitvout calls into the
mythgame system to kick tv out in after xmame starts and again after it
exits.  Not a great solution, but I will have to learn how to better
config the laptop TV out modes.
4) hooked in xine for borderless 800x600 dvd playback
5) hooked in konqueror for 800x600 browsing mode of videos
6) added icons for everything

I'll try to control my digital cable box tomorrow.

A) how come this fast machine has problems "sometimes" during "live"
watching?  it never seems to get close to running 100% loaded.
B) is there a way or a planned way to export the videos so they can
be played by something else?
C) home come pressing m to bring up the epg in tv mode doesn't work?  is
the video on top of the epg somehow?
D) sometimes the overlay of show information doesn't go way; is this
a known bug?  is there a way to force it off?  I have to hit ESC and then
come back in.  Changing channels causes new text to be displayed, but it
still doesn't ever disappear.

Great program!  Thanks!
Mike