[mythtv] Interesting performance improvement

Chris Liscio mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:40:14 -0500

I just purchased my upgrades for my MythTV box -- CPU upgrade from Duron
1Ghz to AthlonXP 1700+, and RAM upgrade from 256MB PC100 to 512MB PC133.

So I decided to delay on the CPU installation just to make sure that I
wasn't wasting my money and just tossed in the new RAM.  I did see one very
important speedup which might be of interest to you specs-watchers.

After installing the RAM I noticed a very large decrease in the time
required to a) change channels and b) have the OSD display after a channel
change.

So if any of you out there have CPUs that are happily pumping along at lower
resolutions (I am a bit of a videophile, I guess you could say...) then you
might just want to consider a RAM upgrade if you're annoyed with the channel
change speeds...

Unfortunately, the speed of the 640x480 MPEG4 streams has still not appeared
to improve.  I will be installing the CPU later on tonight and will
hopefully get some more info for the list.

Hope this helps,

Chris