[mythtv] Alsa 0.9.0-rc6 package for Debian (waiting...)

Dan Schwarz mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 22:42:11 -0500

>>> Looks like I'll be waiting awhile for the packagers to
>>> update to rc6 or later,  so I'm thinking about getting the Debian source
>>> package and applying the patch myself.
>>

>Why do you say that you'll be waiting a while?  While the ALSA packages were
>bitrotting for a while, Jordi Mallach has been doing a lot of work on them,
>fixing a lot of bugs and updating to rc5.

I haven't corresponded with Jordi but it looks like he's trying to
transition the package maintenance to someone else. See this email
thread on Google News:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Jordi+Mallach+alsa+adopt&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=20021030190322.GA9525%40nubol.amalur.nat&rnum=1

Given that, it may be a little while before we see an 0.9.0-rc6 in
unstable. I'll drop him a note and see if he's got one in the works.

>>> I haven't worked with Debian source packages before, so can anyone provide
>>> some tips (or better yet, a walkthru) on how to get the source package,
>>> patch it, and build it?
>>

>Are you using the stock kernel, or a custom kernel?  If you're not already
>building a custom kernel, and thus familiar with the module building
>process, you're better off waiting for the official packages.

Stock kernel (2.4.19-i686).  I've gone through the process of building a
kernel on SuSE before, but I'm not really familiar with the Debian way
of doing things with source packages. And I'm not anxious to destabilize
a system that I've got running well.

Regards,

Dan